As the phat-ass pic above indicates, this is the list of my 31 favorite horror movies. One thing to note is the word "favorite"... not all of the movies on the following list would make my BEST horror movies list. You would possibly even consider some of them downright atrocious, but that doesn't stop them from holding some sort of special place in my movie-watching heart.
Some notes: I was going to comment on the first ten films on the list, but I got so busy that I ran out of time to do it before Halloween. I'll do a redux of this list soon with actual blurbs for each flick, so don't fret (I could smell your nervous sweat from here). Also, if you click on the pictures, it'll take you to a site where you can buy your own copy of the movie on DVD... I made sure that they're the best release for each film, in my opinion. Finally, in some cases, the movies are available to watch legally online... I've linked to those places as well.
Here they are, in some semblance of an order (it's arbitrary after the first few spots, really)...
1a. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

NOTE: There's no sense in trying to argue with the first two picks... they are by far, without a doubt, the greatest horror films of all-time. I guess that they're my favorites as well make them that much more BA.
3. The Evil Dead (1981)

3. The Evil Dead (1981)

12. Creepshow (1982)
23. Dead of Night (1945)
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Paranormal Activity (2009), Trick 'R Treat (2009), Fright Night (1985) (watch online @ Hulu), Rosemary's Baby (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004) (watch online @ Hulu), House of Wax (1953), The Monster Squad (1987), The Devil's Rejects (2005), King Kong (1933), Hocus Pocus (1993), Young Frankenstein (1974)... you know what? I could go on and on. I'll stifle for now.
A few small side-lists...
- Favorite Horror Characters: Frankenstein's creature, Jason Voorhees, Ash Williams (The Evil Dead), Seth Gecko (From Dusk Till Dawn)
- Favorite Horror Series: Romero's Dead series, Halloween, Universal's Frankenstein, The Evil Dead, Friday the 13th
- Favorite Horror Directors: George Romero, James Whale, John Carpenter, Roger Corman, Sam Raimi, Rob Zombie
- Favorite Horror Actors: Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, Ken Foree, Dwight Frye
___________________________________
On a side note, this is MLiS's 100th post. I'm usually one of these guys that'll start an internet project and abandon it soon after... I've only ever had one website that I maintained for an extended period of time (The Movie Compound, RIP), and I've messed about with at least a dozen other things, so that's a good example of my internet epic fails.
Anyway... this blog almost joined the others in my net graveyard (as evidenced by the low post count in the early days of MLiS), but I got a wild hair up my ass and persevered. Keown also helped me out by giving me blogging advice, telling me to post often and pimp it hard on Facebook and Twitter.
I've applied that lesson ever since, and it's paid off big time (that's not to say that I wouldn't like more people to show up, though). Now, not only do I have a fairly successful blog, I have a contributor (Matt Wood) who's going to help me take this thing to the next level, whether you agree with his perspective on things or not... Boat, I'm looking at you, bitch.
Well, I'm done. Thanks for checking out the site guys, and I hope you keep coming back for more. One love.
___________________________________
On a side note, this is MLiS's 100th post. I'm usually one of these guys that'll start an internet project and abandon it soon after... I've only ever had one website that I maintained for an extended period of time (The Movie Compound, RIP), and I've messed about with at least a dozen other things, so that's a good example of my internet epic fails.
Anyway... this blog almost joined the others in my net graveyard (as evidenced by the low post count in the early days of MLiS), but I got a wild hair up my ass and persevered. Keown also helped me out by giving me blogging advice, telling me to post often and pimp it hard on Facebook and Twitter.
I've applied that lesson ever since, and it's paid off big time (that's not to say that I wouldn't like more people to show up, though). Now, not only do I have a fairly successful blog, I have a contributor (Matt Wood) who's going to help me take this thing to the next level, whether you agree with his perspective on things or not... Boat, I'm looking at you, bitch.
Well, I'm done. Thanks for checking out the site guys, and I hope you keep coming back for more. One love.

2 comments:
Late to the party, but I had to note that Dead of Night is available on Region 1 through Anchor Bay, in a double feature with Queen of Spades. It came out in 2003.
Dead of Night/The Queen of Spades
Thanks for the link, Nate! I'd seen this release before, but I'm holding out for a standalone release. That's what I meant in the list, but I didn't make that clear. :)
Post a Comment