
DIRECTOR: Darren Aronofsky
WRITER: Robert D. Siegel
STARRING: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood, Ernest "The Cat" MillerAs a huge wrestling fan, I was afraid that I'd watch this film and be disappointed at its portrayal of a down-and-out former main event wrestler addicted to the rush of the crowd chanting his name. It turns out, I was more than satisfied at the end result. You could say that I had an almost religious experience, which isn't an easy thing to convince me to have.
Many people declare this Mickey Rourke's comeback (I said he was back after Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Sin City, but I digress), and it's well-deserved. He earns every bit of the praise he's gotten for this, and even more than that. It's been a long time since a movie made me feel as emotional as this one did; I laughed, I cried, I shook my head, I was inspired... in short, I felt every emotion that Randy "The Ram" went through, which is a sign of masterful filmmaking and storytelling at their finest. I'm sure being a wrestling fan helped, but it's not at all necessary to liking this flick. In fact, it might make you look at wrestling a bit differently.
If there is any movie I've seen this year that I could wholeheartedly recommend, it's this one (and I've seen Gran Torino and Benjamin Button, which is saying a lot). I haven't seen a movie this good in a long, LONG time.
Many people declare this Mickey Rourke's comeback (I said he was back after Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Sin City, but I digress), and it's well-deserved. He earns every bit of the praise he's gotten for this, and even more than that. It's been a long time since a movie made me feel as emotional as this one did; I laughed, I cried, I shook my head, I was inspired... in short, I felt every emotion that Randy "The Ram" went through, which is a sign of masterful filmmaking and storytelling at their finest. I'm sure being a wrestling fan helped, but it's not at all necessary to liking this flick. In fact, it might make you look at wrestling a bit differently.
If there is any movie I've seen this year that I could wholeheartedly recommend, it's this one (and I've seen Gran Torino and Benjamin Button, which is saying a lot). I haven't seen a movie this good in a long, LONG time.
0 comments:
Post a Comment