I'm going to start doing these things once a month, giving you reasons why I love this person, things you should know about them, and/or how to experience these people for yourselves. They could be actors, musicians, or celebrities in general, but they could also be politicians, business owners, etc. I think you get the point.One of my favorite things about being born on November 23rd... well, probably the only thing I really like about it... is that I share my birthday with my favorite horror icon, Boris Karloff. I even attribute my love of movies to the fact that not only was I born on Karloff's birthday, but that the Best Picture Oscar winner for 1983 (Terms of Endearment) was released the same day... but I digress.
Karloff is, of course, most well-known for his horror stuff. But most of you may not be aware that he's not only a part of your life because of Frankenstein, but because he was the Grinch who stole Christmas... and a mean one he was! He was also the inspiration for the original sketches of the Incredible Hulk, Tony the Tiger's voice, and Jack Nicholson's habit of marking his lines in a script. I still hold he was gypped out of an Oscar for his portrayal of Frankenstein's creature, but at least we have the performance there to remind us of Karloff's brilliance. And I'd love him to death purely on his acting skills alone, but he's also a crucial figure in our popular culture that deserves every bit of the praise he's ever gotten and more.
BEST FILMS:
Frankenstein (1931), Scarface (1932), The Mummy (1932), The Black Cat (1934), The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), The Raven (1935), The Walking Dead (1936), Son of Frankenstein (1939), The Body Snatcher (1945), Black Sabbath (1963), The Comedy of Terrors (1963), "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" (1966), Mad Monster Party (1967)
QUOTES:
"The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
"One always hears of actors complaining of being typecast. I was lucky. Whereas bootmakers have to spend millions to establish a trademark, I was handed a trademark free of charge. When an actor gets in a position to select his own roles, he's in big trouble, for he never knows what he can do best. I'm sure I'd be damn good as little Lord Fauntleroy, but who would pay ten cents to see it?"
"When I was nine I played the demon king in Cinderella and it launched me on a long and happy life of being a monster."
"My wife has good taste. She has seen very few of my movies."
"You could heave a brick out of the window and hit ten actors who could play my parts. I just happened to be on the right corner at the right time."
0 comments:
Post a Comment