Being the geek/dork/nerd I am, I had a reverent time at the movies this year. God of the geeks J.J. Abrams brought the Enterprise back to life; the greatest comic of all-time came to the big screen; Tarantino bounced back from the disappointing
Death Proof; the only movie to ever genuinely scare me premiered; my favorite actor from "Cheers" fought my favorite movie monsters; the best romantic dramedy of all-time tugged at my emotions; Harry's best (but most frustrating) year at Hogwarts came to life; and James Cameron returned to the genre that made him famous with possibly the greatest, at least the most important, movie of all-time.
Obviously, my list will be different than someone like Roger Ebert's. For example, I have yet to see (but want to) movies like
Up in the Air and
Nine. Also, I must once again tell you all that I have two distinct ways to list these sorts of things: I have what I consider the "greatest", and what I consider my "favorites". They are, more times than not, mutually exclusive. So, if you have the same taste in movies as I do, then I can't recommend the following movies highly enough. If you don't share my taste, or are a movie snob, you should probably watch what the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences or Robert Pattinson's cock tells you to, as usual.
As you could tell by the headline, I've divided the list in half, partly as a tease, but mostly because I'm still kinda burned-out from writing so many movie reviews back in the day for my old movie site. That, and I've been lazy lately. Sue me.
So, here are numbers 10 through 6. Enjoy!
P.S. - If you haven't read last year's list, feel free to check it out
here. Obviously, if you haven't seen the movies on that list, check them out when you look up the following flicks.
_________________________________________
10. Paranormal Activity:
It takes a lot to give me goosebumps, and it usually only happens when I witness something historic like Obama's inauguration or a transcendent sports moment/milestone. Never had a movie gave me any out of creep or fear, until Katie's demon drug her out of bed and down the hallway. Remember the hype surrounding
The Blair Witch Project? Well,
Paranormal Activity actually lived up to it in a way that
Blair really didn't. Oh, and let me say, by the end of it you'll be hoping and praying that the demon does really nasty things to Katie's boyfriend Micah. Goddamn, what a loathsome douchebag.
9. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince:
It was hard for me to include this one. On one hand, it's by far the best representation of Harry's exploits yet put on film. On the other, it's the worst book-to-film adaptation I've ever seen. They even ADDED a scene not in the book... granted, it actually adds to the story the movie is telling, but it doesn't really affect whether or not the film would've been as good without it. Also, they eliminated the final battle that occurs in the book, supposedly to make way for a more spectacular-looking battle in the final film. I felt cheated, but it doesn't stop this from being a thoroughly enjoyable film, especially if you haven't read the books or can overlook the changes made.
8. (500) Days of Summer:
Anyone who knows me at all also knows that my current favorite actors are Joseph Gordon-Levitt (go watch
Brick, now) and Zooey Deschanel (for completely different reasons than Joe). What stars aligned to give me the treat that was
(500) Days of Summer, I highly appreciate. I'm a sucker for a respectably made romantic dramedy, and this one is by far, and instantly, the greatest of all-time. The best part about it is that it focuses on the guy instead of the girl, making her the one who is, if not vilified, at least made to be the less-likable one. It also resonated with me emotionally on a level that very few people I know personally can understand, relate to, or comprehend... after all, it's a movie written after a break-up by, and about, a guy who can't figure out why the love of his life dumped him. Sound familiar to anyone who knows my backstory and the plot of my pet screenplay?
7. The Hangover:
This was the first year in a long time that a Judd Apatow movie didn't make my top 10 (
Funny People was only about funny people, not a funny story about funny people). Luckily, Todd Phillips, the man behind the comedy masterpieces
Road Trip and
Old School bounced back from the disappointing
School for Scoundrels with this instant classic. Not since
Tropic Thunder had I laughed as much and as often as I did watching this. Here's hoping that all involved get together again as soon as possible, especially Zach Galifianakis (who I already knew was a comedy mastermind). You all ought to come watch it with me next week. Oh, you know what? Next week's no good for me... the Jonas Brothers are in town.
6. Trick 'r Treat:
Not many know that my favorite type of horror movie are the anthological ones like the
Creepshow films,
Dead of Night, and
Tales from the Crypt. There aren't many of them, granted, but I enjoy the type of storytelling that anthologies entail. The original
Creepshow is the benchmark, and is one of my favorite movies (of any genre) of all-time, but I'd be remiss if I didn't admit that
Trick 'r Treat is now my favorite of the two. It's not a movie I recommend to any non-horror fanboys, because, quite frankly, you just won't get it like myself and writer/director Michael Dougherty do. Everything Mike did reeks of horror love, from the quips, in-jokes, homage... I wish I could give Mr. Dougherty a hug and a thank-you handshake. One of the
reviews I read for
Trick 'r Treat compared it to one of my favorite television shows, calling it "Are You Afraid of the Dark, Motherfucker?" I couldn't agree with that summary more.
0 comments:
Post a Comment