Matt's Top 10 Religious Themed Films

STOP! Do not hit the back button! While the title may seem like I am attempting to show you ten films that glorify God and how you can become a better Christian, that is simply not the case. I find that while there are numerous genres of film, this one does not seem to get a lot of airtime as opposed to Sci-fi, Action, or Drama. These films included span across different genres from comedy to thriller to horror.To me, these films attempt to at least make you think of the concept of a higher being in a different way. Regardless of your religious affiliation, these films are philosophical. You can't have philosophy without at one point having to think about the concepts of a higher being and the such.

In no order of preference, here it is.
1) Saved! (2004)


When I first saw trailers for this film I was a bit put off. First, it was a Mandy Moore movie. Second, I knew at that time Mandy was big into being a "Christian girl". Finally, with a mix of the first two, I thought it was going to be a movie espousing a Christian agenda attempting to pull people in. How wrong was I?!

After the protagonist becomes pregnant after trying to cure a boy of having homosexual tendencies, she becomes ostracized by the ones closest to her. She loses her faith and starts seeing everyone for who they really are. The contexts of religion in this film are heavy with subtleties to each category. To comment on each one would be the perfect dissertation for anyone pursuing a degree in religious studies or philosophy.

2) Stigmata (1999)

If you haven't seen this film, go rent it! A stigmatic priest dies, his rosary is stolen and sold to an American tourist. The tourist sends it as a gift to her atheist daughter. Atheist daughter gets the stigmata! That's what it would be if I oversimplified to the highest degree. Gabriel Byrne plays a Vatican miracle investigator and sets out to investigate the woman played by Patricia Arquette. Through his investigation, he learns of the priest and what he was researching on. With the help of a friend in the Vatican, the priest reveals, the Gospel of Thomas. It reads in saying 77, "Jesus said: I am the light that is over them all. I am the All; the All has come forth from me, and the All has attained unto me. Split a piece of wood and I am there. Raise up the stone, an ye shall find me there."

As you see, it says that God is everywhere, hence why go to church? Especially, if it only takes minimal effort to find Him. Furthermore, it created a controversy when the priest and the woman seem to fall in love. That's not how I saw it, but to each their own.

3) Dogma (1999)

What?!? Just because the man is a comedic genius does not mean he has an excellent story involving religion. Kevin Smith touches on the little nuances that you don't see a lot of in religion themed films. He includes angels, muses, the Metatron, demons, and even God. While some may see it as blasphemy, I find it to be far from it. I mean God won in the end and the message was simple: Just having faith is enough for God. No need to throw yourselves through hoops in order to get there.

4) The Exorcist (1973)

Scariest movie I have ever seen! I will never watch it again because of what has been branded into my mind. However, it does touch on the phenomenon of being possessed. It touches on also the psychology of being possessed. Are they real or are they psychosomatic episodes brought on by a traumatic experience?

5) Wide Awake (1998)


One of M. Night Shyamalan's first films, this one is not half bad. After his grandfather dies, a 10 year old boy sets out to discover the truth about God and the afterlife. Guided by a friend and a nun (played by Rosie O'Donnell) he sets out on his journey. He finds what he is looking for in the oddest of places and his faith seems to be restored. A happy ending only Hollywood can deliver, but the boy asks the same questions we all ask with about the same answers.

6) Inherit the Wind (1960)

While the film was an allegory to McCarthyism (as well as The Crucible), this film is set-up against the backdrop of the 1925 Scopes "Monkey" Trial. A teacher is on trial for teaching evolution in his class even though doing so is against the law. While the trial itself is full of religious questions, so is other parts of the film. When Rachel comes forward to testify against Cates, the journalist tells him, "Sit down, Samson, you are about to get your haircut." These little subtleties only enhance the film. The climax is when the prosecutor tells Spencer Tracy that he is an expert on the bible and starts throwing questions that punches holes in his logic. For example, while grilling him on Adam & Eve and Cain & Abel, it is said in Genesis that Cain went to the land of Nod and found himself a wife. In which Spencer Tracy asks, "Where the hell did she come from?" Inquiring as to how if there was only Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel in the world, how could he find a wife. A must see before you die kind of movie.

7) Life of Brian (1979)


I cannot even begin to describe all the religious satire brought forth in this film. All I can say is it is about a man named Brian who is mistaken for the Messiah. The rest you need to find out for yourself because attempting to describe it would prove to be futile.

8) The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)

Talk about controversy! The film states in the beginning that it is not a portrayal of the life of Jesus according to the gospels. Instead, it examines the duality between Christ as a savior and as a man. It explores that just because he was divine did not mean he was immune from the same temptations as man. It is shown Christ having lustful fantasies, experiencing doubt, battling depression, and having reluctance to his destiny. I find it only right to ask these questions regardless of how strong your faith is. Remember, even in the bible, Christ gets pissed and overturns the tables of the moneychangers.

9) What Dreams May Come (1998)

There does not seem to be a lot of movies that explore the concept of the afterlife. To me, this one is an excellent example. Robin Williams plays the role of Chris, after suffering the loss of his children in a car accident, becomes a victim of an accident years later. He dies and is taken to Heaven. At first, everything is fuzzy and surreal, with his guide (played by Cuba Gooding, Jr.) telling him when he accepts and believes what has happened to him, everything will become more clear. He finally accepts his fate and Heaven appears to him as the form of a play set his daughter had and paintings his wife made. Through episodes of flashbacks and deep thinking, his children are found. His wife, struggling with the loss of not only their children, but her husband as well, takes her life. Chris sets out to save her from Hell. I find both depictions to be portrayed wonderfully. It also really opens up questions to the afterlife, reincarnation, and is everything really set in stone?

10) Religulous (2008)


I was hesitant to put this on the list because of it being a documentary and not a work of fiction. However, it lines up perfectly in the scope of the main point of this post and that is questioning what is in the realm of religion. Bill Maher travels far and wind to find the answers to why people believe and offers a logical argument for his side. Furthermore, he does not shy away from praying with truckers, nor is he an asshole to the priests he interviews. A marvelous film that must been seen.


I hope you enjoyed the list. I know I will be asked where The Ten Commandments or The Passion of Christ are. Those films, and those like them, are depictions taken from the gospels and made into film to visualize the story. Also, I did not include The Matrix, Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass, or the like due to the fact religion is not the main story. Sure, the films allude to, allegorize, and have strong undertones, but is not apart of the story that is presented. For example, let's say you knew nothing about the undertones and allegories from the Chronicles of Narnia, you would see the story as an epic quest.

If you feel I have left something out (I do tend to miss a few), please feel free to comment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment