Jailhouse Crock

Being from a small town, the biggest news around here usually pertains to the week's arrests and court results. Another side-effect of being from a town like Morgantown is that I know the majority of the people discussed, so I know a lot of the inside information on theirs and others legal goings on. One of the things that I have to deal with because of it is hearing about all the people who get out of their trouble by ratting on other people. This is a prime example of how fucked our legal system is, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Need another one? I'll give you an extremely personal example: my Uncle Randall raped a thirteen-year-old retarded girl, and they let him out of his trouble - not to mention dropped the case and erased it from his record - because he agreed to register for service in the Army. Our government, our justice system, our armed forces, the people who are there to protect and to serve us, let this monster go free for nothing. Nothing. You want to know what happened later because he wasn't rotting in jail like he should've been? He did the same thing to my mother, repeatedly, from the time she was a small child until she was barely a teenager. Thanks for that, Uncle Sam!

I'll use three more, prominent examples, featuring NFL stars Michael Vick, Plaxico Burress, and Daunte Stallworth: Vick served two years in prison for fighting dogs. Plax will be going to jail soon, for two years, for shooting himself in the leg. Stallworth drove drunk and hit a pedestrian, killed him, and spent 23 days. Where's the justice in that?

I know, dogs are cute and cuddly, and I love them dearly, but the fact remains that they're not humans. I'm not condoning dog fighting in any way, but Vick spent more time for killing dogs than some people spend for killing each other. We've put this holy mandate out there that domestic animals are untouchable, but at the same time the people who worship at the altar of these animals are the same people who let them die in overcrowded kennels and pounds.

And I don't know about you, but if I want to shoot myself in the leg, whose fucking business is it but my own? I know Plax did it in a public place, and it was an accident, but the most he should've gotten out of it was a concealed weapons charge... I think he suffered enough shooting himself, really. The sad part is that is wife is getting ready to give birth to their first child, and he won't be there for that moment because of a severely screwed justice system.

I don't fault Stallworth for being able to get out of his trouble, but it's a crime against humanity (not dogs) that he spent less than a month in the can, not only for killing a man, but for doing it while driving drunk! If I did something like that, they'd name the ground under the jail after me because I'd be buried in it.

What about other celebs? Lindsay Lohan spends 88 minutes for possession of coke? Yet other people get 25 YEARS for having the precusors to cook meth (while not being in possession of it)? Is there any simpler example I can give you of how fucked our justice system is?

Do I have suggestions and solutions to solve our problem? I'll be honest: not really. It's not that I haven't thought about ways to make it better, but I know that it's a futile thing to dwell on when it'd be more than practically impossible to do anything about it. Our whole government is fucked, plain and simple. Sure, we're the good ol' USA, let freedom ring, my country 'tis of thee, bloopity blah blah blah, but as long as the ignorant people who run this joint (not to mention the ignorant citizens who elect these people) let things like what I discussed above go on, what hope do we really have?

3 comments:

September 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM Boat said...

Our judicial system is fucked...completely fucked. I can give you an example: I was recently ticketed on a holiday weekend for my 8 year old son not wearing a lifevest...while docking our canoe in 2 feet of water. The game warden was having a field day that day and thought why not rain down on someone elses parade? The very next weekend, in the middle of the day while we were shopping, a group of individuals literally kicked down the door to my house and ransack my home stealing several thousands of dollars of electronics and jewelry.

The citation was marked at $500 for no life preserver (I of course fought it in court and got it knocked down to $100), which I paid in consequence of going to jail. On the other hand, when calling to follow up with the detective in charge of my robbery case, he said they really haven't done anything on the case including putting our serial numbers out to pawn shops. In fact, he asked if we could do it.

This is why I despise government invading our lives. They've made the judicial system a joke, they've ruined social security, and now they're trying to do it to healthcare. It's just a matter of time for anything they touch.

September 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM Chris said...

I feel you, brother. Shit's from a fucking bull, man.

September 16, 2009 at 9:29 PM Matthew Wood said...

This is just a side note, but here in Michigan, they can no longer conscript you into the military for crimes. Maybe different in other states though.

Also, the system will always be screwed for the fact of the matter is the whole "plea bargain" crap. Sure, makes the DA look good because he got a guilty verdict, but at the same time a price was paid on the future because of a criminals lesser jail sentence. Now, obviously that is only one example, but I feel you, bro.

Post a Comment