First off, before I get into my post, I would like to thank my friend, Chris Gaskey, for allowing me to contribute to his blog. For those who do not know me, I am an ideologist bent on making at least a small amount of change to this world. Good change not nuclear holocaust change. You may find my blogs to be full of ideologies and views that might be far different from your own. If you have a problem with people discussing politics, religion, and pop culture in sometimes in a negative light, do so at your own discretion. So, with out any further adieu, I bid thee to my first post on MLiS.For most of us, how we select our political and religious views first come from what our individual families have raised us to believe. Now, there are some who change said views. A person may convert to a different religion in order to appease his new bride's family. Or a person might change political views due to one major event in their lives. I hope to at least maybe put a seed in someone's head in order to bring about change in this world. Now, you can adopt certain views from different parties in order to progress change. Case in point, there are Republicans who are pro-choice and there are Democrats who are Anti-gay. Granted, those are small numbers in either party, but they are there nonetheless.
I, on the other hand, am a Socialist. Whoa, before you start heading for the hills, allow me to explain. Every democratic nation is socialist in one form or another. How do you ask? Let me tell you. The military, police, fire department, judges, public attorneys (both DA and PD), park rangers, TSA, FBI, CIA, and yes, NASA. These are just a handful of government agencies that are paid through taxes. Yes, Mr. Anti-Socialist, you pay taxes for the cop to give you a speeding ticket. Unless, you are so pro-capitalism, I guess we can have you pay the Police Department's salary, but please make the check out to Taco Bell because, hey we all need a sponsor.
Now, also, for all you anti-socialists out there, here's a news flash. Socialism is an economic policy not a political policy. Now, yes there is a Socialist Party USA . But, you should now confused Socialism with Communism. Socialism does have some tenets to Communism, but Communism progresses past Socialism. Socialism still allows all free and open elections, the same freedoms we still have, and all the same fun times. Don't believe me? Look at the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Denmark, and Ireland. These countries are Democratic Socialist Societies. Now, that is not labeled by the type of government they have. The UK is a Parliamentary Monarchy, Germany is a Federal Republic, and Belgium is a Federal Parliamentary Democracy under a Constitutional Monarchy. Try saying that one three times fast. Oh, and in case you are wondering, the United States is a Federal Republic with A Constitution Based Democracy.
Now, all these governments, besides ours, provides for the welfare of its citizens. Sure, they have problems, but so does every country. Added to the aforementioned benefits, they also provide health care, free of charge. Now, for all those thinking the government is telling you where to go and be seen are ignorant.
I lived in the UK for three years. Not once, did I ever hear people complain about the care they receive from their universal health care. There were no waiting in lines for surgeries and services. They got to see who ever they wanted. And, get this, they could still sue the doctor for malpractice. And the Britons seem to live longer and fuller lives due to the fact they do not have to worry about seeing a doctor for any ailment. They can see one for preventive health without having to worry about paying for pap smears, mammograms, prostate exams, and EKGs.
If you look at it, most of the people could have had diseases under control or erradicated if they got checked sooner, but no, it cost over $350 for a woman to get checked for cervical or breast cancer. And by the time it is a problem, sometimes it is too late. Oh, then you have to worry about the insurance company dropping you because you "forgot" to tell them you had a headache and took Tylenol for it when you were 15.
Now, I am not going to rant on health care because that is a different post altogether. But that is one example of how Socialism can help.
Another way, is how it can boost the economy. As stated with health care, if you rid of citizen pay to some certain government services, that leaves more money in the pocket to spend on goods. Because as Americans, we need shit we don't need in the first place.
Also, have the companies become publicly owned. Not by the government, but by it's employees. That strengthens the business and the employees can get a return on their investments.
We can have stronger Unions that fight for the worker instead of what is best for the company without upsetting too many people.
And the real way to fix the economy is really simple. Simultaneously, we need to raise taxes and reduce spending. But nobody in power has the testicular fortitude to tell the masses that. They know it, but are so afraid of their legacy in History books they would never implement it. Now, increase in taxes and reduction and spending does not need to be drastic. I'm sure a 1% increase and a 1% reduction would spell huge gains in our economy.
Now, I don't have all the answers. It is up to us to find them. We need to be proactive and progressive with our country. Staying in a rut, being nostalgic of a past society, or watching Glenn Beck are detrimental to our society. America was once seen in awe, now it is a laughing stock. We may have the brawn, but we need the brains back. Our country is in dire need and change needs to occur now.
And I ask all my friends who are the conservative side, I challenge you to read some progressive party ideals. Whether they are from the Democrats, Socialists, Communists, Anarchists, or any following the left side of the spectrum. And furthermore, I challenge you to ask why you are restrictive to change. If you are of the religious type, look at it from a moral standpoint. Would you rather doom future generations for the sake of the now? Would you sacrifice your fellow man because you forsake your deity's words on compassion, love, and tolerance, just so you can embrace capitalism? I think a Jesus in this day and age would show far more compassion to the things you despise, invite them to a kingdom, and leave you with playing with a ball in a cup outside the gates. You can still be a good moral person even if you follow progressive beliefs. Remember, Jesus was the first hippie.
8 comments:
Thank YOU for contributing. You know I have mad love for everything you think, write, and do, and it's a privilege having you post your stuff here. I might get taken seriously now. ;)
Not really. I know Chris, so I can access his judgements and urge him to change his politics from there, but you, I'm guessing you're young also...somewhere in your twenties? If not, you've really held strong to some strong but poor beliefs.
Socialism is bad. Plain and simple. It sounds good on paper, but it never works.
You really, really have to dumb it down to think about it. You have a small group of people. They all our equal in every way. Now, let's apply socialism. Let's say, one of these individuals is a farmer; they grow and produce food for this small group. One is a doctor; they offer medical services for the group. Lastly, there is a warrior; he protects the group. Now, in socialism, you say, "hey everyone in this group, these three guys are going to provide services to us...free of charge." We just have to have faith that they will provide these services and as a community we must take care of them." Sounds good on paper. The fact is, the warrior doesn't want to take care of the people. Let's say he's a bit greedy. He starts to ask for things on the side. The doctor all of the sudden gets board with his job because hey it's monotonous and he is sick of offering every joe blow in the community help for all their problems. Oh, and the farmer just figured out he cannot supply food for the entire community despite all the free medical care and protection he gets in return. You're probably wondering, "So what? There are plenty of people wanting fill those positions." Now, you tell me; if everyone is doing the work for you, providing what you require to live as a community; what in the hell do you need to do? If you supply everything for everyone, how long can you go on with that task? What if you want to change jobs?
Now...with capitalism, you have unlimited options. Every person has to earn their own place in the community. There's competition, there's invididuality, there's room for growth. Silly commie, that's why the US have been so big the last 100 years; capitalism. You'd be a full to bring socialism into the equation. Do a google search for governments who have run a socialist state in the last century and look how poor their economy has compared to the US's. Their's no comparison. Most move from socialism directly into communism. So, to say their is a difference is fucking stupid. When you grow up and live in the real world with real responsibility, you'll finally latch onto reality. A couple greedy executives and CEOs have never harmed my family. On the otherhand, those positions you listed in you're little dissertation, have. "Publically owned" companies, are you out of your mind? Who made those companies? Huh? What if you invented...I don't know..."Windows"? Would you want your years of learning and hardwork to be handed over to the COMMUNITY?!?! Seriously? Who the hell would really want to make anything anymore?!?! WTF?!??!!? There's a difference between modivation for fullfillment and community service. You probably lost that grasp with that through some college professor or CNN. Get your head out of your ass and take a wiff of reality. You have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!
Gaskey, get better columnists...you're better than this. This guy's speech is a joke. Socialist party, ha.
In response to Boat:
I can't take you seriously when you can't spell "Are" or "Motivation."
Is it so much to believe that people want to do things because they enjoy what they do? Too much to think that people would rather do what they enjoy than make money? Also, by them providing free services, and the others providing free services, their work...which they enjoy... is how the services are paid for. Unfortunately, your point about greedy people is a good one. One of the biggest problems is our society BREEDS greed.
Finally, cussing and insulting is OBVIOUSLY the greatest way to get your point across.
While I disagree with you, I respect your point of view. We are a melting pot nation. However, if you are a capitalist, why when the top financial institutions in this country were failing, why did they run to the government for money? In true capitalism, they should have went under. That is capitalism, sink or swim. Now, for the time being, some of our institutions are nationalized.
Now, I do not know you or what you do in life. I just separated from the Air Force. I have a wife and a daughter. I have fought for this country. I have had to be in places where my life was in jeopardy. Now, I am currently working to provide for my family. So, do not say I have not "lived in the real world" or "do not have real responsibility."
I'll be honest, I really have nothing to contribute to this discussion on either front. I will say that my beliefs have been covered, but I will be the first to admit that I'm not at all an economist.
The best part about this, though, is that I knew who'd be versus who in this argument... I love you guys.
If you have fought for our country, I of course am grateful. Then again, you should at least know what you were fighting for...freedom. I have plenty of friends in the military and I can say almost all of them (but especially those that served hard times over seas) have a) agreed with our stance in the war and b) came back to promote freedom against tyranny. I'm not sure where you served or what you did in the military but if you traveled to some of the communist or otherwise Islamic regimes worldwide, you can see how utterly pathetic life is there.
Socialism is tyranny. To further enforce my point, nothing good has come from communism in the long run. That is proof in of itself. You wouldn’t be able to write this paragraph in a wonderful communist nation like China without looking over your shoulder. Think about it. Socialism breeds communism.
Like most young socialists, you have very little history to back up your cause. It looks good on paper BUT DOES NOT WORK. You'll turn around someday, maybe after you get your family comfortable through a steady job…maybe after you build your own business…maybe after you earn some big money...I don't know. You'll finally realize that government power is not the answer and in fact it is downright wrong. Our system isn’t perfect, but it is the best one out there. Why would we move towards such a dramatic change? The New Deal is proof that socialism doesn’t work with our economy. Look it up.
Also, I was against the bailouts…totally. They should’ve failed or followed bankruptcy procedures despite how large they were. If you don’t agree with these big corporations being nationalized than you just further my point. It was government intervention that prodded the housing crisis in the first place.
I’m sorry I referred to you having no responsibility or not lived in the real world; this is clearly not the case. I just see too many similar comments like this from journalists, kids in their parents’ basements, celebrities, and all around mooches who haven’t really earned anything in their lives and ARE blaming society for their woes.
Oh, and sorry I had typos in the previous paragraph; was too infuriated to spellcheck anonymous douche. Despite cussing and typing errors I think I still got point across, turd. You might want to spellcheck this comment for me while you're at it.
I was against the bailout as well, but not in the sense of capitalism/socialism. It was more of give those greedy fuckers a taste of their own medicine. They knew the rules and decided to either A) circumvent them B) Be right on that legal line where that there may have not been a law, but business ethics should have prevented them from doing the things that they did.
And while true, nothing has panned out in Communist political side, I am not promoting communism or tyranny of any kind. And yes, as it has been debated by political scientists that communism is the best form of government in theory, it has yet to be measured from a strong nation. You can count Russia if you must, but but between what Lenin wanted and what Stalin did were completely different in terms of personal philosophy pertaining to Communism.
And while Marx & Engels do say that Socialism needs to happen in order for Communism to come, does not necessarily mean it has to. Socialism is an economic stance, not a political. And to me, seems to get everyone fair treatment.
Furthermore, as stated above the most European countries are more towards Socialism than we are. I won't say the countries are problem free because that is a ludicrous statement, but the people in general are happy and sound with the way their government works.
And just to piggyback on work ethics in European and most other countries. The people work less, have more vacation, get more in terms of convalescence, and get paid more. And that's all in one. And those countries are just as great as ours in terms of economic prosperity and product consumption. While here, a majority of people work over 40 hours a week, receive one to two weeks of vacation for a year, only 10 days for the family leave and medical act, wages that are not consumerate to the work, and while unions due protect workers to an extent, they fail to fight for the people that pay for the protection through dues. And as well, if you are a temp or probationary employee, you have no protection from the Union and the corporation treats you like scum, just so you can jump for there dollar.
Now, I am open to capitalism, however, seeing the state of the American people, change is needed in a lot of areas. The American people have worries other nations don't in the terms mentioned above and in this comment. And if we truly want to be great again, maybe we can take a hint from some of those other countries in order to perfect our system.
It doesn't have to be a big revolution, small changes in a reasonable amount of time is all I ask.
Here is a little Post Script as well. Greece just elected George Papandreou, who is a Socialist and President of Socialist International. He has an article on the website, "The Nation". The link is below if you choose to read it.
http://www.papandreou.gr/papandreou/content/Document.aspx?d=6&rd=7739474&f=1360&rf=1307380017&m=12090&rm=20848791&l=1
Post a Comment