Rendezvous with Rama - the fake trailer...


Arthur C. Clarke is by far one of science fiction's most important writers, and is an upcoming member of our "Dork Royalty" section. Every sci-fi fan would be committing blasphemy if they weren't familiar with Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, which is not only one of the greatest novels of all-time, but is THE greatest sci-fi movie of all-time.

One of his most overlooked works, but one that is almost as good as 2001 is Rendezvous with Rama (about human explorers of the 22nd century investigating the mysteries of a spaceship that has entered the Solar System). There have been rumblings of a feature-film version, most recently by one of my favorite directors, David Fincher. While that seems to have died, Aaron Ross and a Vancouver Film School student have envisioned what a feature version might look like.

I've gotta tell you: get these guys a job, Hollywood. Even if it isn't Rama (although, it should be), I'd love to seem them tackle another sci-fi project. Kudos to Philip Mahoney, who created the sound design for the video as his final project, using Aaron Ross' original video, through VFS' Sound Design for Visual Media program.

View the faux trailer below.

2 comments:

May 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM Anonymous said...

Hello Folks,

This is Phil Mahoney, the sound designer in question. Thanks so much to this site for writing about my sound design final project, and for everyone who posted comments. Just want to clarify something though: This is not *my* film. The film was created by Aaron Ross when he attended the Tisch School Of The Arts in 2001.

However, the sound design is all mine, and was the catalyst to this film getting so much attention. I attended the Sound Design For Visual Media program at Vancouver Film School last year, and this was my final project. I chose Aaron’s video because I thought there was a lot of opportunity for sound, and I was right. I got 91% on the project and consequently, my project was chosen out of many to be featured on the official VFS Youtube channel, Vimeo and iTunes, among others. Io9.com found it, wrote about it, and it went viral from there. As of this writing, nearly 20,000 people have viewed Rendezvous With Rama in the past 48 hours.

It was an absolute blast to record, edit and mix all of the sound for the film, including the original score. I’m primarily a composer and I’ve been scoring for over twenty years. I am actively looking for sound design and composing work and if you like what you heard, please get in touch!

You can see my original version with my credits, as well as my composer’s demo and some other sound design projects here: http://www.youtube.com/Philsy1971

Phil Mahoney
Vancouver
phil@philmahoney.com

May 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM Chris said...

Thanks for the reply! I will adjust credit, accordingly! I'll also be sure to spread word about your work!

Post a Comment