Is The Dark Tower FINALLY coming to screens... somewhere?

If you haven't made the connection yet, the name of this site was formulated as a play on words using the title of my favorite book series, The Dark Tower... that is, to say, that I hold it in higher esteem than most Christians do The Bible. At one point J.J. Abrams (geeksquee!) was supposed to be doing the films with his "Lost" cohorts, but that fell through when Abrams was afraid he couldn't do the books justice.

Now, we have Ron Howard stepping up to the plate. This in and of itself is cause for concern, because Richie Cunningham hasn't made a movie I found to be a genuine masterpiece since Apollo 13, and it will NOT be acceptable for any sort of adaptation of DT to be nothing short of one. It's also distressing that they want to do it as a film series AND a TV show. *facepalm*

I'd settle for films if that's all I get to have, but they'd have to be done in two-parts per novel, and be as long as the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings films... that'd mean we'd be getting fourteen three-and-a-half hour-long movies (not going to happen). And I'll settle for a TV show if we are all absolutely, positively assured that Roland WILL get to make it to the Tower, and it doesn't get cancelled after half a season like "Firefly"... but we all know that's just not what would happen.

True fans of the series know that the only way it'll ever be done justice is as a "Band of Brothers"-type miniseries. It'd have to have more episodes than BOB, of course, but it'd be more than worth it. The ratings would be through the roof, and would more than pay for the budget this type of ambitious project will have to have. Either way, I hope Opie truly knows what he's gotten himself into.

0 comments:

Post a Comment