DIRECTOR: Tim BurtonWRITER: Linda Wolverton (adapted from Lewis Carroll)
STARRING: Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Crispin Glover
Heavily anticipated films always seem to follow a certain track. Hype is generated to unfathomable limits, exciting is grossly over churned, people line up for blocks, and then the movie begins. Then, in the lobby you hear how the movie was "good", but never lived up to the hype. It's kind of like chatting up a fluffer because your logic tells you she is in porn, thus, she is awesome in the sack. However, after you are done doing the deed, you see why she is a fluffer. Living up to standards can be awfully tricky for audiences wanting to believe the hype. Alice in Wonderland, however, decides to derail from that all too common track and deliver the audience all the hype that was generated.
As I was watching this film, I was trying my hardest to find one thing I could cling on to to say, "The movie was excellent, but..." Film snobs may find a few nitpicking things however, I could not find anything to criticize about this film. Besides, I don't review for film snobs.
It is hard to call this film a re-imagining of the beloved children's tale. The way the film is presented leaves you to believe it is a remake encased in a re-imagining. Alice returns to Wonderland, however, to her she thinks it is her first time being there. While most of what everyone has seen in the cartoon is present in the film's story, some aspects are left later in the film in the form of a memory. The story, in my opinion, is presented excellently and with good pace.
The casting was superb. While some may see this as a Johnny Depp movie, that is hardly the case. I found Helena Bonham Carter's portrayal of the Red Queen the role that stole the show. Alan Rickman and Stephen Fry actually voice act instead of just reading their lines with their roles of the Blue Caterpillar and the Cheshire Cat respectively. Mia Wasikowska is excellent in her portrayal as Alice. Reluctance, fortitude, and confusion are expertly shown in her acting. Matt Lucas offers us the humorous duo of Tweetle-Dee and Tweetle-Dum. And the most surprising, Crispin Glover, playing the Red Queen's right hand man, Stayne.
The visual effects are an optical orgasm. The blend of the colors and placement to fit the mood of the story are nothing short of perfection. I will note that the tree that appears next to Alice as she first enters Wonderland is a bit reminiscent of the tree used in Sleepy Hollow. The settings do tend to pull emotion regardless if you are aware that is happening. You can definitely tell some thought has been put into this aspect of the film.
All in all, I found this film to be an excellent take on the story. Definitely a must see.
NOTE: This is my first review. I do not claim to be Ebert, Maltin, or Shalit. I am merely conveying my thoughts on this film and with practice my reviews will get better.
1 comments:
Awesome review. I definitely agree with everything you've said. It was really one of those movies I was worried about because of the previews and the hype but it lived up to the expected brilliance.
"Off with your head."
Post a Comment